Bake a cake when you are celebrating an occasion and bake a chocolate torte when you are craving for a perfect chocolate dessert. This is what it is, as good as it gets, a perfect combination of white and dark chocolate with very little flour which results in dense chocolate cake. So yea, a torte is a cake, in fact every torte is a cake but not every cake is a torte. Do I make sense? let’s dig a bit deeper shall we…
Torte looks like a cake and smells like one too because all the essential ingredients are the same. Once you take a bite out of torte you will notice the difference. Tortes are a little different , just a little different, to prepare than cakes. Unlike cake which is fluffier a torte is dense. This density is mainly because of minimal quantity of flour. Tortes usually don’t have layers, but it is used as a base layer for speciality multi-layer cakes with elaborate decoration.
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, melted
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs, separated
2/3 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons water
2 cups (12 oz) HERSHEY’S Premier White Chips, divided
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
SATINY GLAZE (recipe follows)
WHITE DECORATOR DRIZZLE (recipe follows)
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Line bottom of 9-inch springform pan with foil; butter foil and side of pan.
2. Combine melted butter, sugar and vanilla in large bowl; beat well. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in cocoa, flour and water; beat well. Stir in 1-2/3 cups white chips.
3. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in small bowl until stiff peaks form; carefully fold into chocolate mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan.
4. Bake 45 minutes or until top begins to crack slightly. (Cake will not test done in center.) Cool 1 hour. Cover; refrigerate until firm.
5. Remove side of pan. Prepare SATINY GLAZE and WHITE DECORATOR DRIZZLE. Pour glaze over torte; spread evenly over top and side, Decorate top of torte with drizzle. Cover; refrigerate until serving time. Refrigerate leftover torte. 10 to 12 servings.
SATINY GLAZE: Place 1 cup HERSHEY’S SPECIAL DARK Chocolate Chips or HERSHEY’S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips and 1/4 cup whipping cream in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 1 minute; stir. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth when stirred. Cool to lukewarm and slightly thickened.
WHITE DECORATOR DRIZZLE: Place remaining 1/3 cup HERSHEY’S Premier White Chips (reserved from torte) and 2 teaspoons shortening in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 20 to 30 seconds or just until chips are melted and mixture is smooth when stirred. Place in pastry bag with writing tip or drizzle from spoon to decorate torte
Recipe from Hershey’s Chocolate Cookbook, click here for recipe link.