During the frigid winters, don’t we all crave for warmer desserts? This vermicelli dessert is one of the easiest Meetha, dessert, of the Pakistani cuisine. And like many other deserts of the same cuisine, this is best served warm. However, what makes Seviyan most appealing, is that it is by far the easiest dessert with prep and cook time as little as 15 minutes. Also, leftovers can stay fresh in the fridge up to a week; just warm for a minute in the microwave before serving.
My kids love seviyan the most out of all the desi desserts probably because it’s not as messy or watery as others such as sheer, a popular dessert containing milk, butter, nuts and vermicelli. So, with the consent of my kids, for the monthly potluck this dessert proves to be #1 choice! Why, you ask? Well, because you can make it a day before, it’s easy to carry, there are no spills and it tastes amazing.
Next time when you have unannounced guests, you know what to make for dessert! With the few basic ingredients, there’s no need to go out grocery shopping just for this dish. Since half of our groceries come from an Indian stores, we get a pack of vermicelli every other week, as it used in more than a couple Desi desserts and doesn’t spoil in the pantry for months.
- ¼ cup Oil
- 200 gm broken in 2 inch pieces,vermicelli (one packet if buying from a desi store)
- 4 crushed,cardamoms
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ teaspoon yellow food color
- ¼ cup almonds crushed
- 6 to 8 raisins (optional)
- Add food color to milk and stir to mix.
- Heat oil on medium heat.
- Add crushed cardamom to oil, wait for the cardamom to release a sweet aroma.
- Add vermicelli to oil and fry until its color changes to a lighter shade of brown. this will take five to 7 minutes on medium heat.
- Add milk, be cautious and move back as it will sizzle for a few seconds.
- Keep stirring, the vermicelli should absorb most of the milk in a few minutes.
- Next, add sugar and keep stirring slowly while the sugar dissolves and the moisture is absorbed completely by vermicelli .
- Add crushed almond and raisins, mix. Cook for 3 more minutes.
- Serve warm.